Saturday, February 28, 2009

Would you like some soup with your pepper

We have a had a very wet couple of days around here. I love to make those classic warm comforting foods when the weather is like this. Chicken soup is a staple in our home in the cooler months. I just grill come chicken cutlets fill a pot with about 6 cups chicken broth and 2 cups water some fine chopped onions, celery and tons of carrots. Let that simmer away then chop up my chicken and throw it in at the end along with a hand full of broken up spaghetti noodles. Then I make simple drop biscuits to go along with the soup. It is simple delicious and comforting. Because my children are eating it is always a very lightly seasoned soup. Bryan usually goes nuts adding on the pepper to his serving. So last night I decided I would season it well and see what the kids thought. Well, I went a little too far with the pepper. Trenton was the first to take a bite and his face turned bright red and he couldn't stop coughing. So I took a bite and all I could do was laugh hysterically and say I am sorry. Then I suggested putting the biscuit into the soup to see if that helped. Trenton tried it and said no mom that just makes my biscuit too peppery. Brynn said mom biscuits don't help I need water! The kids were good sports...they all ate their soup with lots of coughing, laughing and a tall glass of water in hand. After all the fun the kids went to bed and we headed to the Pulley's. Matt is home with a certificate stating he finished Pre Ranger. Good job Matt now let the sleep deprivation&starvation begin. The O'Malleys will have moved to Washington by the time Matt has completed the school so we all got together for one the last hurrah with the all the regs. This evening we are going to a going away party for another family getting ready to move to their next duty station. Things are changing...people are leaving. I wonder who is coming? One thing I can count on being a military wife is change.

1 comment:

Nicholle said...

haha.. I can't believe they still ate it! Jackson is so picky, I can not get him to eat anything!