
Patrick, Jennifer, the kids and I headed out on our biggest or rather furthest adventure. We went to Ruby Falls located in Chattanooga, TN. We decided on the long route there. We went through 3 states in one day...Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee. We drove over Blood Mountain(very very windy) but once we made it past that it was an amazing drive. My favorite part was Cherokee National Forest and Ocoee River. There was so much to see the whole drive. We stopped at Ocoee Whitewater Center for a picnic lunch. It is a beautiful place and the home of the 1996 Summer Olympics Whitewater. I only wished I brought my kids swim suits so they could play in the water. Lunch was quickly over and on to Ruby Falls. 4 hours later we finally arrived. It was amazing!!! We went 1,120 feet beneath the surface to see the largest and deepest waterfall open to the public. Hundreds of gallons of water rush over by the minute. On our way there the kids could not stop talking about all the rubies we were going to see. I told them I didn't think there was going to be any rubies. You know how stubborn kids can be and after all it was called Ruby Falls. So I was happy when our tour guide explained how Leo Lambert, a local cave enthusiast, discovered the caverns and the waterfall. He then took his wife down the tiny passage ways to see the waterfall and told her he would name it in her honor,"Ruby Falls". Isn't that sweet! So the kids were able to accept there were no rubies after all. Afterwards we headed to Sticky Fingers for dinner and headed home on a different route that took half the time it took us to get there. It was a long day but so worth it.







2 comments:
how pretty.. I bet it was worth the drive.
Our group picture is so funny! :-)
Post a Comment